Can I Receive Compensation For Damages Caused By Road Rage?

Road rage is a very common factor in car accidents. Some drivers experience road rage because they become highly frustrated at experiences they have on the road. This can lead to honking and angry words. However, in some cases, it can also lead to a driver being very aggressive in a manner that can lead to an auto accident.

When Road Rage Can Lead to a Settlement

After the accident, you might wonder whether your costs will be covered by the insurance provider of the other driver. This depends on how the accident occurred and what caused the damage to you and your car. For example, if the driver exits the vehicle and damages your car intentionally, this will usually not be covered by an insurance provider.

However, there are other types of accidents that can result from road rage. For example, your car might be rear-ended because the driver was tailgating you or the driver might have tried to block you from changing lanes. The driver might hit you and you might suspect that it was intentional but have no proof.

The First Steps Toward Filing a Claim

After the accident, you will want to call the police. If the driver is still angry, you can remain in your car and you do not have to interact with them. The officer will conduct an investigation and might determine that the driver had road rage. The police officer might choose to charge the driver with reckless or aggressive driving.

Make Sure to Seek Medical Attention

Seek medical attention immediately. Once you have determined the extent of your injuries, you will need to talk to your car accident lawyer about everything that happened. Your attorney will make the type of legal arguments that will increase the odds that you will be able to seek compensation for your injuries.

Damages You Might Have Suffered

It's essential that you seek compensation for your injuries to pay for both current medical bills and future expenses. You will need compensation for lost wages and for lost future earning potential. You are also entitled to compensation for pain and suffering.

If you are injured as a result of the driver attacking you, this is something you should bring up as well. While you might not be able to file a car accident claim, you might be able to sue the driver directly and receive compensation for your injuries.

Contact a car accident lawyer for more information.